Legal Separation

If you are legally separated you are not legally able to marry another person. You are married but separated. The process to obtain a Legal Separation is the same as to obtain a Decree of Dissolution of Marriage. Once a Decree of Legal Separation is entered, either party may request the Legal Separation be converted to a Decree of Dissolution of Marriage after six months.