Parental Rights

Parenting rights and parenting time will be addressed within a dissolution of marriage if the parties are married. If the parties are not married, the process begins with the filing of a Petition for Allocation of Parental Responsibilities by one or both of the parents.

A Petition may also be filed by a person other than a parent who has the physical care of the child(ren) for a period of six months or more if such action is commenced within six months of the termination of such physical care. This Petition must be filed in the county where the child(ren) is/are a permanent resident or where the child(ren) is/are found, but only if the child is not in the physical care of one of the child(ren)’s parents.